Broccoli Cheddar Mac N Cheese4
Servings: 4 people
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons In Emily’s Kitchen Signature Spice
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar
- 2 cups shredded yellow cheddar
- 1/2 cup Velveeta cheese
- 3 shakes hot sauce like Franks or Crystal
- 3 shakes of Maggi seasoning optional
- 1 head of broccoli florets- about 1 1/2 cups
- 1/2 pound of Cavatappi
- 1/3 cup low moisture mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon IEK Signature Spice
- In a dutch oven or other large bottom heavy pot, add in canola oil and butter on medium high heat. Once butter has melted, add the onion and season with salt and In Emily’s Kitchen Signature Spice.
- Lower heat to medium low and cook onions for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes before adding in the flour.
- Use a whisk to stir butter and flour together. Should become thick pretty quickly.
- Increase heat to medium heat, whisking the mixture every few seconds to ensure it doesn’t burn. This is your roux.
- Once the color of the roux has deepened to a light golden color, about 6 minutes, add in the milk while whisking constantly.
- The mixture should quickly thicken to a creamy consistency.
- Add in the cheeses, whisking while adding.
- Then season the cheese mixture with the hot sauce and Maggi. Lower heat and keep an eye on it. Give it a whisk every few minutes to ensure the bottom isn’t burning.
- Cook your noodles in seasoned water for about 7 minutes. The noodles should still be al dente. After the noodles have been cooked, use a spider to add your noddles directly from the boiling water into the cheese sauce.
- Then add the broccoli florets into the same pasta water and cook in boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Add the broccoli into the noodles and cheese. Mix until combined and then pour the broccoli cheddar Mac and cheese into a baking dish that’s about 2 inches deep.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella and cheddar on top of the Mac and cheese. Use a spoon to tuck the cheese into the Mac and cheese. This will create those epic cheese pulls!
- Then mix together the parmesan, Panko, IEK signature spice and melted cheese in a small bowl. Sprinkle the topping all over the Mac and cheese.
- Pop into the broiler for 2 minutes. But watch it! It goes from nice and golden brown to burned within seconds!