This might be the best sandwich I’ve ever had- and there’s no meat in it… That’s saying something!
As I’m writing this post I keep having to stop and take a bite. This nutritious and elegant sandwich can be made on a whim for lunch or dressed up for a fancy occasion like an outdoor BBQ or even a bridal or baby shower!
The sandwich itself is so pretty from the color of the beets but it tastes even better.
Beet and Goat Cheese Tea Sandwiches
- 3-4 red and yellow beets
- Herb garlic goat cheese
- Whole wheat or Sprouted health bread
- Mixed greens
- 1/2 Shallot- finely diced
- 2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- A little butter for cooking!
- First, boil the beets in water with a pinch of salt. They will take about 45 minutes to fulled cook. Once they are fork tender, take them out of the water and place into a colander. Run cold water over the beets until cool enough to handle. Once cooled rub the skins off. The skins she rub off easily and quickly.
- Next make the vinaigrette for the sammy! Combine shallot, dijon, olive oil, balsamic, oregano and salt and pepper. Whisk until combined and set aside.
- Next toast the your bread in a skillet with a little pat of butter. You want the bread to be nice and crispy so it can soak up the juices without getting soggy. The best way to achieve this with bread without burning is to put the bread into a hot pan for 10 seconds and the turn the heat all the way down on low. This will achieve that crispiness you love without burning it.
- As your bread toasts, cut the beets into thin slices. Then spread your goat cheese onto both pieces of the toasted bread. Layer the thinly sliced beets and then layer of mixed greens. Drizzle a little of the vinaigrette over the greens and then another layer of beets on top. Finish with the goat cheese spread toast.
- Enjoy for lunch, dinner or a pretty little snack for a party!With love + salt.