Ok, this is a dish for a special date night, impressing your in-laws or if you’re just really hungry for something bold, meaty and a little sexy. By sexy, I mean freaking delicious. This sauce does take a while but time = love. The more love you give this sauce, the better it is. I invite you to totally indulge in this classic and timeless saucy pasta dish.
Braised Short Rib Ragu and Rigatoni4
- 6-8 bone-in short ribs
- 1 onion - finely diced
- 3 carrots - finely diced
- 2 leeks - finely diced
- 3 celery stalk s- finely diced
- 4 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3 tsp. Dry oregano - divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped garlic
- 1 box of rigatoni
- garlic power
- fresh oregano
- 1/2 cup flour
- vegetable oil
- Mix flour, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1 tsp oregano and 1 tsp garlic powder together in a flat pyrex. Dredge the short ribs in the mixture so all sides are coated. Heat 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a Le Creuset or other bottom-heavy cast iron skillet. Sear all sides of the short ribs until they are browned and caramelized. Spend a good 10-15 minutes just searing all sides and pieces of your short ribs. This will help develop flavor not only in the meat but also in the sauce. Next, take the short ribs out and set aside on a plate. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the dutch oven pan in which the short ribs were seared, and then add the finely diced onion, carrot, leek and celery. It is very important these vegetables are very finely chopped so they can became part of the sauce. Sauté on medium low heat for 25 minutes, constantly stirring and seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. You want these vegetables to transform into a delicious paste as the base for the sauce. Take care of these veggies but cooking low and slow and with lots of love and care. Once they are very soft and almost brown, add the tomato paste in and continue to cook for 4-5 minutes stirring constantly. Then add the fresh garlic and 2 tsp. of oregano and cook for 60 seconds on high heat. Add the 1 cup of dry red wine while it's on high heat and allow the wine to cook out and flavor the sauce. After about 1 minute, lower the heat and add 2 cups of beef broth. Then add the short ribs back to the beautiful sauce. Nestle the short ribs into the sauce and top with a few strands of fresh oregano. Cover with a lid, turn down to a very low simmer and let it get happy for 3 hours. Keep checking it every 30 minuets to see if it needs more liquid.
- After 3 hours, the meat of the short ribs should fall off the bone. Take the each rib out and shred the meat from the bone with 2 forks. Return the meat to the pan and let them meld with the sauce. Let it continue to cook was you boil the rigatoni. Cook the rigatoni until al dente and using a slotted spoon, add the rigatoni directly into the sauce and stir until incorporated. Top with parmesan cheese and serve topped with fresh oregano.
- The neat thing about the pasta is the pasta water. Use a 1/2 cup of pasta water - give or take - and it quickly becomes a perfect thickening agent for the pasta and sauce and brings it together in that perfect Italian restaurant like way.
- Serve immediately and enjoy- this is good stuff.