Buttermilk Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks beaten
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pour buttermilk into a large glass or metal bowl. Place that bowl into a larger bowl filled with ice and place into the freezer.
- In a large pot, heat heavy cream with sugar on medium heat. Stirring constantly until the milk has scalded but is not boiling.
- Slowing pour the hot milk into the beaten eggs. You want to temper the eggs so whisk vigorously as you pour in the hot milk.
- Add the whisked milk, sugar and egg mixture back into the large pot. Turn heat to low and stir constantly with a wooden spoon for about 10 minutes or until custard has thickened.
- Take the cold buttermilk out of the freezer and slowly pour and vigorously whisk custard into buttermilk.
- Add in the vanilla and salt.
- Whisk together and place the bowl back into the larger bowl with ice and then into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Once the ice cream base is chilled, pour into ice cream maker and run it until the ice cream is churred.
- Place the ice cream back into the freezer after it is churred for about 3 hours before enjoying!
with love + salt, Em