Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits with Black Pepper
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 stick frozen grated unsalted butter- I just used a cheese grater!
- 1 1/2 cups cold buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons black pepper
- 3/4 cups of grates sharp cheddar
- First in a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper.
- Mix together well.
- Then add in the 2 tablespoons of shortening. Combine the shortening into the flour mixture using your fingers until well combined.
- Now add in the grates frozen butter. Using your hands making sure it is well mixed but still be gentle so you don’t melt the butter- you mostly just want to make sure all the grates pieces of butter are dusted in flour.
- Add the cheddar cheese and just mix gently until combined.
- Lastly, pour in the buttermilk and mix together using a spatula until the dough comes together.
- Turn to the out onto a floured cutting board and press gently into a rectangle about 3/4 of an inch thick. Once in a rectangle shape, fold both sides in like you’re folding a piece of paper into thirds.
- Repeat pressing the dough into a rectangle and repeat the process of folding it into thirds. I do this about 7- 8 times to create those flaky layers in my biscuits!
- Now time to cut the biscuits. Using a biscuit cutter, cut the biscuits by going straight down and straight up. Do not twist the cutter.
- You should end up with about 8 biscuits depending on the size of you biscuit cutter.
- Place them on a baking sheet with parchment paper and cover with plastic wrap. Let the biscuits chill for 30-45 minutes before popping them in the oven.
- Bake the biscuits at 450º for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown on top!
Enjoy! With love + salt