Chicken Larb Lettuce Wraps2
- 3/4 pound Ground Chicken
- 2 cups water
- 2 teapsooon sugar
- 3 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/4 cup shaved or thinly sliced shallot
- 1/4 cup torn mint leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup green onions or chives
- 1- teaspoons of the Chile de arbol powder
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon of the toasted rice powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts
- Butter lettuce
- Sliced cucumbers
Toasted Rice Powder:
- 1/2 cup dry jasmine rice
- 2 kefir lime leaves or regular lime leaves will do!
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger - cut into small medallions
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass paste
- 10 dried chiles de arbol de-stemmed
- First, put the ground chicken into a small stock pot and cover with 2 cups of water. Gently boil the water and cook the chicken, breaking it up with a spoon until opaque but still tender.
- Once cooked through, drain the water off and add the sugar and fish sauce. Give it a good stir and set aside off of the heat.
Next work on the chili power:
- A wok works best for achieving the roasted flavor in the chilies but any saucepan will do.
- In a dry wok, roast the chilies on medium low heat, constantly moving them around every 30 seconds or so, so they don’t burn. You want to achieve a deep toasty color without burning them. Spend 10-15 minutes slowly and gently roasting the chilies. They should deepen in color and you’ll probably be coughing from the spiciness! Don’t inhale! Haha!
- After about 15 minutes, transfer into a small food processor and pulse until it remember the chili flakes you put on pizza! Transfer into a small bowl for later.
Toasted Rice Powder:
- This also works best in a wok, but a large saucepan will also work just fine!
- Add in to a dry wok on medium low heat: jasmine rice, lime leaves, ginger and lemongrass paste. Move rice around and toast for about 25 minutes until the rice is a deep brown color. You’ll want to toss the rice once every few minutes to prevent the rice form burning.
- Once the rice has toasted transfer into a small bowl and let it cool for about 10 minutes. You’ll add the lime leaves, ginger and lemongrass paste all into the food processor too! So no need to take those out.
- After it has cooled, transfer into a food processor and pull until it reaches the consistency of granulated sugar. This will take about 3-4 minutes in the food processor. Once it has turned into a powder transfer it back into the bowl and set aside.
Now time to assemble our salad!
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ground chicken, shallot, fresh mint, cilantro and green onions and give it a nice stir. Then add in the chili powder. I like to add in about 2 teaspoons - a little goes a long way! If you like it less spicy add only a little!
- Then add in the juice of 2 limes and lastly the toasted rice powder at the end. Give it a nice stir and top with the chopped hazelnuts for crunch.
- Serve with the butter lettuce leave to crate little lettuce wraps with the chicken larb. Garnish with sine slices of cucumber for freshness!