Milk Bar’s Crack Bars8
- 6 tablespoons unsalted softened butter
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter melted, cooled slightly
- 6 1/2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- First, make your cookie crust! In a mixing bowl, combine the butter, sugar and brown sugar. Use a electric mixer to beat until light and fluffy. Then add the egg and mix together some more. Lastly, add in your dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Prepare a 8inX8in baking pan with parchment paper and turn the cookie dough out onto the pan. Make sure it gets into each corner so it bakes evenly.
- Pop the cookie into the oven and make at 350º for 18 minutes.
As the cookie bakes, make your filling!
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well combined. Then add in the 4 egg yolks, cream and vanilla. Mix together until smooth and set aside.
- Once the cookie is done baking, allow it to cool for about 10 minutes before crumbling the entire cookie into a large bowl. Crumble in to small pieces and then add 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Stir around until the cookie crumble is coated with butter.
- Pour the cookie crumble back into the 8inX8in pan with parchment paper and press down with your hands to create a crust. I use another piece if parchment paper so the cooke crust doesn’t stick to my hands.
- Once the crust is packed into place, pour the filling mixture right over the crust.
- Place the bars into the oven at 325º for about 50-55 minutes.
- Once they are done, allow the bars to cool before cutting into them. I typically will allow them to cool and then refrigerate them overnight before cutting into them.