MJ’s Spaghetti Bolognese4
Servings: 4 people
- 3 strips of bacon - chopped into small pieces
- 1 onion - finely diced
- 2 stalks of celery - finely diced
- 2 carrots - finely diced
- 2 teaspoons In Emily’s Kitchen Signature Spice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil optional
- 4 cloves of garlic - finely diced
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 16 oz can of whole San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups of beef or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Parmesan cheese for topping
- In a large dutch oven, add pieces of bacon. Cook on low heat for 15 minutes rendering out all the fat from the bacon.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon and set aside on a plate with a paper towel.
- Turn heat to medium and add in the onions, celery and carrots to the dutch oven.
- Season with In Emily’s Kitchen Signature Spice, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Cook on medium low heat for 30-40 minutes, stirring every few minutes. You want let these veggies really develop in flavor and brown.
- After at least 30 minutes, add the ground sirloin to the dutch oven. Season the meat with a teaspoon of salt and pepper. Brown the meat breaking it up with a wooden spoon.
- Add the diced garlic.
- Brown the meat for 20 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Next, deglaze with the white wine. Cook on medium for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the can of tomatoes, milk and the beef or chicken broth. Give it a good stir and simmer on low heat for at least 1 hour with the lid ajar.
- After an hour, add the red wine vinegar. Give it a good stir and taste to see if you need to season with any more salt and pepper.
- Boil pasta until al dente and then add the noodles directly to the pot of bolognese sauce. Add in about 1 cup of pasta water to help coat to pasta with the sauce. Finish it off with parmesan cheese. Serve and enjoy!