Orzo Pasta Salad6
- 3 cup of dry orzo pasta
- 1/2 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped Basil
- 1/2 cup of feta cheese I don’t like to use the pre-crumbled feta. They put a chalky-substance in the already crumbled feta that doesn’t taste very good and its not very good for you. Plus the bigger container of Feta will mostly likely be less expensive and last longer!
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- The juice and zest of 2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 2 teaspoons Pepper
For Seasoning the water for boiling the orzo
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- First chop all your vegetables and herbs for the salad and set aside. Boil your water with olive oil and salt. The salt will season your pasta and the oil will keep it from sticking. Cook time for orzo is about 8 minutes but you should keep it al-dente so it can absorb the dressing better without getting mushy.
- I cook the pasta for about 6-7 minutes. It should still have chew but now be crunchy. Drain the pasta and then pour the pasta onto a baking sheet pan. This helps it cool down faster. Drizzle the pasta with olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Next make the dressing. Add the finely chopped shallot, olive oil, lemon zest and juice, red wine vinegar, chicken broth, mustard, salt and pepper. Mix together and let it pickle the shallot a little.
- Once pasta has cooled for about 15- 20 minutes, add pasta into a big bowl and add all your chopped vegetables, olives and herbs. Pour the dressing over the pasta and mix gently.
- Refrigerate for 30-45 minutes. Crumble with the feta just before serving. And top with lots of fresh ground pepper.