Perfectly Basic Mac n’ Cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons diced shallot
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1 cup of reserved pasta water
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese I like to use medium sharpness for this
- 1 11/2 threaded Jarlsberg cheese
- 1 bag small elbow macaroni
- First melt butter in a dutch oven. Add in the shallot and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Let the shallot sweat for 3-4 minutes and then add in the flour. Cook the flour, butter and shallot on medium- low heat, stirring constantly for 5-10 minutes. Then slowly add in the milk, whisking vigorously to incorporate and create a creamy, silky sauce. Then slowly add in the cheese, whisking until fully incorporated. Add a shake or two of nutmeg, salt and pepper to the sauce.
- Put the lid on and turn the heat off. Next, cook your small elbow macaroni in salted boiling water for 5 minutes. Then transfer macaroni directly from the boiling water into the cheese sauce with a slotted spoon. Turn the heat back on and stir together cooking for 1-2 minutes. Add in 1/4 cup - 3/4 cup of the reserved pasta water to the sauce as it begins to thicken up.
- Serve in a big cozy bowl with a little ground Pepper on top.
- With love + salt