Plum Almond Upside Down Cake6
Servings: 6 people
- 6 plums- sliced into half moons
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water + a little extra incase the caramel gets dry
- 2 sticks unsalted butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk or almond milk
- 1 lemon zested (2 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Butter and flour a 9 inch round cake pan so the cake does not stick. Arrange the plums in the bottom of the pan. Feel free to get a little fancy here and make a design with the plums! That’s what I did!
- Next work on your caramel. In a small saucepan mix together 1 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of water. Cook over medium heat for 7-8 minutes. Do not stir the caramel. Instead swirl it in the pan. You will have to babysit the caramel for the full 8 minutes to make sure it doesn’t burn. If it look like its getting a little dry, add in a few more tablespoons of water.
- Once the caramel looks like a deep amber color, pour it directly over the plums into the cake pan.
Next time to work on the super simple cake!
- Mix together the melted butter and sugar with a whisk until smooth. Next, add in the eggs, milk, lemon zest and almond and vanilla extracts! Mix again until thoroughly incorporated.
- Lastly, mix in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix together with a whisk until smooth.
- Pour the cake batter directly over the plums and place the cake into an oven at 350º for 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the case comes out clean.
- Let it cool for about 10 minutes before inverting the cake onto a plate! Run sharp knife around the edges to loosen up any stuck edges and the place a plate on top of the pan and flip! Allow gravity to help you if it still feels stuck… it will eventually fall!
And voila! You have the prettiest and yummiest little plum upside down cake! I like to top my cake with a dollop of creme fraiche and pistachios for a little crunch! With love + salt, Em