Plum Almond Upside Down Cake6
- 6 plums- sliced into half moons
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water + a little extra incase the caramel gets dry
- 2 sticks unsalted butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk or almond milk
- 1 lemon zested (2 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Butter and flour a 9 inch round cake pan so the cake does not stick. Arrange the plums in the bottom of the pan. Feel free to get a little fancy here and make a design with the plums! That’s what I did!
- Next work on your caramel. In a small saucepan mix together 1 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of water. Cook over medium heat for 7-8 minutes. Do not stir the caramel. Instead swirl it in the pan. You will have to babysit the caramel for the full 8 minutes to make sure it doesn’t burn. If it look like its getting a little dry, add in a few more tablespoons of water.
- Once the caramel looks like a deep amber color, pour it directly over the plums into the cake pan.
Next time to work on the super simple cake!
- Mix together the melted butter and sugar with a whisk until smooth. Next, add in the eggs, milk, lemon zest and almond and vanilla extracts! Mix again until thoroughly incorporated.
- Lastly, mix in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix together with a whisk until smooth.
- Pour the cake batter directly over the plums and place the cake into an oven at 350º for 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the case comes out clean.
- Let it cool for about 10 minutes before inverting the cake onto a plate! Run sharp knife around the edges to loosen up any stuck edges and the place a plate on top of the pan and flip! Allow gravity to help you if it still feels stuck… it will eventually fall!