Red Beans and Rice in the InstantPot!4
Servings: 4 people
- 1 pound dry red beans
- 1 onion - finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper - finely diced
- 3 celery stalks - finely diced
- 1 shallot - finely diced
- 3 large cloves of garlic - finely diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 a ham hock or smoked ham shank
- 4 andouille sausages sliced - I used chicken andouille sausage to keep it lighter
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons In Emily's Kitchen Signature Spice
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 5 cups of chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- First, turn on the InstantPot to “Sauté” mode. Add the olive oil first then the onion, bell pepper, celery, shallot and garlic.
- Season the veggies with all the spices, bay leaves and salt and pepper. After 5 minutes of sautéing, deglaze the instant pot with the white wine.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the pound of dry beans, ham hock, sliced sausage and chicken broth to the instant pot.
- Give it a good stir and a taste to see if it need any seasoning or a little extra pinch of salt.
- Turn off the “Sauté” mode and place the lid on the instant pot. Then program the instant pot to cook for 1 hour on high pressure.
- Allow to cook and then let it naturally release. This process takes about 10 minutes.
- After it has released, add the red wine vinegar to the beans and taste to see if it needs any more salt or pepper. I always like to finish it off with a little pinch of salt.