Skewered Japanese Chicken Meatballs4
- 1 1/2 pounds of ground chicken
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic finely diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sake
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ginger chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
Toppings: chopped green onions
First take 10-12 wooden skewer stick and start soaking them in warm water, and set aside for later.
- Mix all of the meatball ingredients together in a large bowl. Use your hands to make sure everything is thoroughly mixed but not over-mixed. Cover and put in the refrigerator for 30 minutes as you make the sauce.
- In a saucepan add all the sauce ingredients except for the cornstarch. Bring it to a boil and then down to a simmer and allow the sauce to reduce and thicken, about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes of reducing the sauce, whisk in the cornstarch. It should thicken up even more so now. Cook the cornstarch out for about 5 more minutes and set aside.
Get a pot of water boiling with a few heavy pinches of salt.
- Take the chicken out of the refrigerator and form into small balls. Drop the chicken meatballs into the boiling water and allow the chicken to cook for about 5 minutes in the boiling water. Once they come to the surface of the water, take them out using a slotted spoon.
- Once they are cooled enough to handle, slide 3 cooked meatballs onto each skewer. And set onto a plate.
- Using a griddle pan with ridges, turn the heat on high. Allow the pan to get very hot about 2 minutes. Once it is hot, place the skewers on the pan and allow them to start sizzling.
Next glaze the meatballs with your sauce!
- Use a brush if you have one or a spoon to gently coat the meatballs on each side as the cook, turning them every minute or so. You want to get a good charred crust on each side of the meatballs. Continue to bast the meatballs with the sauce until they are totally coated and glistening!
- Transfer onto a plate and top with the green onions. Enjoy immediately!