Tangy Brussels Sprouts Salad4
- 3 cups of Brussels sprouts- Chopped. This comes out to 1/2 pound to 3/4 pound
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped Marcona almonds
- 1/4 cup goat cheese more if you’re a cheese lover, but who isn’t?
- 1-2 tablespoon finely chopped shallot depending on your preference of raw shallot
- 1/2 cup tablespoons fresh peas
- 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- White vinegar
- Pickling spices
- Pinch of White sugar
- Salt Pepper
First, hard boil the eggs. Let them cool and then peel them. Place them in a bowl with white vinegar (enough to cover), a pinch of white sugar, salt, and pickling spices. Cover and put that in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
Next, mandolin or chop the Brussels sprouts so they are thinly shaved. Once all Brussels sprouts have been sliced, quickly blanch them in salty water for about 45 seconds. You still want them to be bright green and have bite, but not chewy. Take the Brussels sprouts out of the boiling water and immediately immerse them in an ice bath. Then blanch 1/2 cup of fresh peas in the boiling water for 90 seconds. Add the peas to the ice bath for few minutes then transfer the well dried Brussels sprouts and peas into a bowl for mixing and set aside.
- Now time to make the dressing!
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the zest of 2 lemons, 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard, the juice of 2 lemons, ½ cup of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside at room temp.
- Toast the Marcona almonds in a dry pan over medium heat. These go from toasted to burned very quickly so watch them carefully. As soon as you begin to smell their aroma, take them off the heat and out of them pan. Roughly chop and add to the Brussels sprouts and peas bowl. Then add 1 tablespoon finely diced shallot and the crumbled goat cheese to the bowl. Lastly take the quick pickled eggs out of the pickling liquid and gently sieve it into the bowl (I use a micro plane). Once all ingredients are in, dress the salad and toss. Serve immediately and enjoy!