Cheesy Lasagna Bolognese6
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in large dutch oven, over medium heat.
- Add in the chopped onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Sauté on medium heat for about 10 minutes or until the onion has become slightly translucent.
- Add in all the seasonings: salt, garlic powder, oregano, basil, red chili flakes, pepper and a bay leaf. Give it a good stir and then add in your ground beef or veal.
- Season the meat in the dutch oven with a teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Brown the meat with the vegetables for about 15 minutes on medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Next, deglaze the pan with the red wine. Allow the wine to cook out for 2 or 3 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon to pick up all the yummy goodies.
- Add in the tomato paste and cans of tomato sauce. Allow that to simmer on low as you make the béchamel sauce!
- In a medium saucepan on medium heat, add butter and flour together. Continually whisk to cook the flour. It should turn into a thick paste.
- After about 5 minutes of whisking, gradually whisk in the milk. Whisk until it becomes a thicker and creamy texture.
- Now add in the cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg!
- Continue to whisk until it become a nice and cheesy mixture. Set aside for lasagna assembly!
- At this point the bolognese sauce should be on point and delicious! Be sure to taste to and see if it needs more seasoning!
- I like to par-cook my lasagna noodles. Cook them until the are very al dente, about 7 minutes. Also, in the boiling water, add a good amount of olive oil to prevent sticking!
Time to assemble!
- In a 9X12 pyrex, lay down a decent ladle or 2 full or bolognese sauce. Next add a layer of noodles. Then add another layer of bolognese and then béchamel on top of that, spreading it out evenly. Repeat with the noodles, bolognese and béchamel as many times as you would like! A good rule of thumb is at least 4 times! The more, the merrier!
- Now for the very top, finish it off with fresh sliced mozzarella cheese and about 3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese.
- Cover the beautiful lasagna you just assembled with tin foil and place in the oven at 350º for 1 hour.
- After an hour, take the tin foil off and turn the broiler on to get the cheesy topping all bubbly and browned and delicious, it only needs about 5 minutes! If you don’t have a broiler that ok too, just turn the heat up to 500º for about 10 minutes!