White Bean and Kale Stew
This cozy stew is the perfect meal to have on the stove all day cooking on a rainy day. While I decided to make mine with fresh white beans, you can cut down the cooking process by a few hours using canned white beans! And its just as delicious!
- 2 cans white beans
- 1 bunch of dark green Italian kale
- 1 small onion - chopped
- 3 carrots - peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 parmesan cheese rinds
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch of fennel fronds
- 1 handful of sage
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Parmesan cheese for topping
- Sauté your chopped onion in a tablespoon of olive oil in a deep stock pot or a large dutch oven for 5 minutes. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Then add in your chopped carrots, garlic, chopped fennel fronds and parmesan cheese rinds. Let that start to break down and develop flavor for 5 minutes.
- Once its start to brown and sizzle, deglaze with 1/2 cup of dry white wine. Once wine has cooked out which takes about 2-3 minutes, lower the heat and add in your chicken stock. Bring it up to a boil and then add in your 2 cans of white beans- be sure to drain off the water first!
- Once you add the beans, lower the heat to a simmer and cover. Simmer together for 30 minutes. Once the beans became soft and creamy, add in the chopped kale and let that cook for 5- 10 minutes. Season with another teaspoon of salt and pepper if you think it needs more seasoning. Then sherry vinegar to give it that brightness.
- Top with some fresh shaved parmesan cheese and enjoy on a cozy day at home!
with love + salt